It’s been a running gag among Dungeons & Dragons fans, where every time something new is hinted at, they’d declare “Spelljammer confirmed!” That confirmation grew even closer with an Unearthed Arcana called “Travelers of the Multiverse,” testing out early designs for new Spelljammer player options.
Finally, during the first “Dungeons & Dragons Direct” of 2022, we got our confirmation. Spelljammer is coming to D&D 5th edition.
Adventures in Space
The new Spelljammer D&D set, “Adventures in Space,” is more than just a single book. It consists of three new books for players and dungeon masters:
- Astral Adventurers Guide, a setting book featuring six new player character races: Astral Elves, Autognomes, Giff, Plasmoids, Hadozee, and Thri-Kreen.
- Boo’s Astral Menagerie, a bestiary for Spelljammer monsters, including space clowns, vampirates, and of course, giant space hamsters.
- Light of Xaryxis, a new adventure set in wildspace and the astral sea.
Additionally, Wizards of the Coast will be releasing a prequel adventure, “Spelljammer Academy,” to all members of the D&D website.
Along with the new books, Wizards of the Coast is also releasing a new line of Spelljammer miniatures. This includes giff, a flumph in a pirate hat, and of course, a giant space hamster. Also available for purchase are gargantuan-sized miniatures, including the astral dreadnaught and a variety of Spelljammer ships.
“Spelljammer: Adventures in Space” will be released August 16th.
Return to Dragonlance
Along with the Spelljammer announcement, Wizards of the Coast revealed a return of the “Dragonlance” setting. It seems the past legal battles with Weis and Hickman have been resolved amicably, as a new trailer dropped:
While little else was revealed about the new Dragonlance content, we know we’ll be getting a book called “Shadow of the Dragon Queen” and a battle game called “Warriors of Krynn.” Both will be released later this year.
The D&D Direct was less than an hour, but they still had time for plenty of new announcements, including:
- A new starter set, complete with digital tools, and a new beginner adventure called “Dragon of Stormwreck Isles.”
- The “Dungeons & Dragons” movie has wrapped filming, and is set for a March 2023 release date. The movie’s title is “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.”
- Baldur’s Gate 3 is still in production and is set to release in 2023
- Two new DM-facing products were announced: a set of monster tokens, complete with removable cling stickers so DMs can set up tokens for any number of creatures on their battle maps, as well as new terrain tiles (also including cling stickers for easy use and removal). Both will be available in July.
- “Dungeons & Dragons: Onslaught,” a new miniatures skirmish game featuring the Harpers, Zhentarim, and dungeon monsters locked in battle.
- A new D&D Digital Library on the Wizards of the Coast website, which will include Spelljammer Academy and a new digital Monster Compendium.
- The release of the “Dragonslayer” expansion for the Neverwinter MMORPG.
Suffice to say, there’s a lot to look forward to for Dungeons & Dragons fans! Are you excited for Spelljammer? Looking forward to Dragonlance? Have theories to share about the movie? Let us know in the comments, and keep an eye out for more exciting news on G33k-HQ.